Caribbean Rum Cake Recipe
This was my first time making Caribbean Rum Cake. I’ve been wanting to make one for ages and I don’t know what took me so long! I just had to settle on the right recipe, and this one from King Arthur Flour (with a few modifications that I made) turned out to be PERFECTION!
This is a moist, rich cake that will likely get devoured by your family in under 24 hours!
Here is my version of the recipe (very close, just a couple of small tweaks). The link to the original King Arthur Flour version is below.
Caribbean Rum Cake
For the Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3.4 oz vanilla pudding mix instant
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup milk room temperature
- 4 eggs room temperature
- ½ cup rum plain or spiced
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup rum plain or spiced
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325º.
For the cake
- Mix all dry ingredients (flour, pudding mix, sugar, salt, baking powder).
- Add softened butter and oil, mix on medium speed until totally incorporated and crumbly.
- Add milk and 4 eggs, one at a time. Mix until everything is well-incorporated.
- Add rum and vanilla, mix one more time.
- Pour mixture into bundt pan sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Bake at 325º for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Take cake out of the oven but leave it in bundt pan and set aside to make the sauce.
For the syrup
- Add all ingredients for syrup EXCEPT vanilla in sauce pan. Bring to rapid boil and then reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer mixture for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Poke holes all over cake with skewer or chopstick. Spoon out syrup all over cake slowly, allowing it to soak in completely. Continue adding syrup until it has all been poured over the cake.
- Leave cake in bundt pan until it has cooled down to room temperature then invert cake onto serving plate.
- Once cake has COMPLETELY COOLED, cut and serve. Enjoy!
Here is the original recipe from King Arthur Flour – https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/caribbean-style-rum-cake-recipe
Here is my recipe for homemade vanilla – https://www.oldtimeknowledge.com/make-your-own-vanilla-extract/
Here is an affiliate link to my MADE IN THE USA bundt pan – https://amzn.to/3rYHzR2