Slow cooker mac & cheese and corn pudding are the stars of the show in this bundle of recipes for a Country Vegetable Plate.
Yes, I know mac & cheese isn’t a vegetable, but here in the south, if you go to a restaurant that serves vegetable plates, mac & cheese is almost always an available side. Other popular items might include sweet potatoes, string beans, fried okra, mashed potatoes, fried squash, hash brown casserole, fried apples, and a whole host of other yummy things.
Crock Pot Mac & Cheese
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni (or your preferred pasta)
- 2 cups milk
- 5 or 6 oz. of evaporated milk
- 1 can cheddar condensed soup
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb. shredded cheddar, or your preferred cheese (divided)
- Spray cooking spray in slow cooker, or grease with butter
- Beat eggs before adding to slow cooker
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker, except reserve half of the cheese for the last 15-20 minutes.
- Cook on low heat for 3 hours or high heat for 1 1/2 hours. During last 15 to 20 minutes, add remainder of shredded cheese and let it melt on top.
TIP: If you prefer, you can lightly cook pasta before putting in slow cooker. It will produce a creamier result, but if you prefer a slightly more al dente pasta, put the uncooked macaroni straight in the slow cooker.
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 can cream style corn
- 2 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 stick butter
- 3 eggs
- Melt stick of butter in baking dish.
- Combine all ingredients well and pour in dish.
- Bake in 350º oven for about 30 minutes or so, or until the top starts to brown slightly.