Learn how to make buttermilk biscuits the old-fashioned way!
The method for how to make buttermilk biscuits is the same as the How to Make Perfect, Fluffy Biscuits EVERY TIME video I posted a couple of months ago, but the ingredients are different.
This is part one of a two part series on how to make buttermilk biscuits with sausage gravy.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 6 Tbsp. lard (or butter)
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
Preheat oven to 450º.
- Combine flour and baking soda
- Add lard and cut in to flour with a fork until it is distributed throughout. (It will resemble a coarse meal.)
- Add buttermilk.
- Stir in loosely with a fork until you can begin working the dough with your hands.
- DO NOT KNEAD DOUGH. Work the dough with a light hand until it all comes together in a ball.
- Press dough out and cut out biscuits or pinch off biscuits and place on pan.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until tops start to brown just slightly.