This is an easy Christmas appetizer, ideal make-ahead food for the holidays. I published a sausage ball recipe a couple of years ago and it is one I’ve been using for probably close to 10 years, but I recently found a stack of recipe cards that were given to me by family members DECADES ago. I was in my early 20s and I’m in my late 40s now, so we’re talking almost 30 years ago. This particular recipe came from my Aunt Belle and I was a little skeptical since it uses less cheese and more Bisquick, but her sausage balls always were delicious so I didn’t hesitate to give it a try.
THESE ARE IT, Y’ALL! These are so good! Way better than that other sausage ball recipe, and that other one was also delicious! These add paprika (and I added in some cayenne, even though it wasn’t in the recipe.)
The BEST Sausage Ball Recipe
- 1 lb sausage, mild or hot
- 10 oz grated cheese (in the video, I’m using an 8 oz block that I grated, so not quite 10 oz.)
- 3 cups Bisquick (I used Great Value brand since Walmart was out of Bisquick)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- A few shakes of Cayenne (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together
- Form mixture into little balls
- Bake in 350º oven for about 10-12 minutes
If you need to add in some water to bring everything together, you can do that, but probably no more than about 1/4 cup.
If you want, you can add more cheese, more sausage, or less bisquick, but I think adding in the teaspoon of paprika and not using that full pound of cheese really makes for a better sausage ball.